I cam across this roasted red pepper pesto and chicken pasta recipe on WhiskAffair’s blog when I was searching for interesting pesto recipes. Peppers are one of my favourite vegetables and the thought of making pesto from scratch at home using peppers rather than just using a store-bought one excited me.
This was a normal post-work Tuesday evening so I needed a recipe that wouldn’t take ages and too many ingredients. Roasting the red peppers was fairly straightforward. It was removing the peels of the red peppers that I thought would be complex. But turns out once baked properly, they are fairly easy to get rid off, provided you immediately keep the hot roasted peppers covered. This way the steam helps loosen the peel or skin. New skill learnt, I was really chuffed and quite proud that I did something new.
Making pesto was so much fun and to be honest you don’t really have to stick to the recipe. You could just make changes as per your taste – more garlicky, more nutty, spicier perhaps, creamier? Well, you get the point. Make the pesto yours, rather let the pesto show a little bit of your personality. Mine was garlicky and quite nutty – don’t know what that says about me 🙂
You could also completely get rid of the chicken and instead use only vegetables. With so many options, this roasted red pepper pesto and chicken pasta is super versatile and really healthy as well. Not to mention, fairly quick and easy.
|Prep Time||10 mins|
|Cook Time||45 mins|
- 2-3 red peppers
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup Parmesan grated
- 3/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 200 gms chicken boneless
- 1-2 tbsp creme fraiche or heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups Pasta A pasta of your choice. I used penne.
- Preheat over to 200C and line baking tray.
- Cut the red pepper into two halves and de-seed.
- Roast the peppers for roughly 25mins.
- Once done, remove the peppers and keep it covered in a box. The steam will help loosen the skin.
- Deskin the peppers ( try to remove as much skin as you can).
- Coarsely blend the garlic and walnuts in a blender.
- Add the roasted peppers and blend to a smooth paste.
- Now add in the Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and olive oil and blend again.
- In a pan on medium heat, add some olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and season with some salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 mins till tender.
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 15 mins or until cooked.
- Add the pasta to the chicken and to this add the fresh red pepper pesto.
- Stir to combine all ingredients and add a few drops of creme fraiche or cream.
- Stir well and adjust salt/pepper based on taste.
- Serve hot with some parmesan shavings.