For the cashew paste
- Soak the cashews in warm water for at least 10 mins.
- Transfer soaking cashews to a blender with half the water used and blend to make a thick paste. Keep aside.
For the Ginger Garlic paste
- Peel and coarsely chop the ginger and garlic and then blend together to form a paste. Add a teaspoon of water to make a smooth paste.
For the yogurt
- Gently whip the yogurt so that it is smooth, to this add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Whip to combine and set aside.
For the Korma
- Heat oil in a pan on a low-medium flame.
- Add the whole spices: bay leaves, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick. Roast for a couple of minutes until aromatic.
- Now add the finely chopped onions, and a pinch of salt. Stir and gently brown the onions over a low flame for about 10 mins.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, and mix well.
- Now add in the chicken pieces, stir well so that everything comes together.
- Braise the chicken pieces for about 5-6 minutes.
- Reduce the flame, and slowly add the yogurt mix and then the red chilli powder.
- Coat the chicken with the yogurt onion mix and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water and salt to taste, stir and then cook for about 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Take the lid off, stir again, then add the cashew paste.
- Simmer on low heat for about 8 minutes, take off heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with Jeera rice or parathas.