- Add the moong dal with twice the amount of water, salt and turmeric to a saucepan. Cook on a medium flame for roughly 350-40 minutes or till the moong dal is cooked and is squishy soft.
- In another pan, heat the vegetable oil on a medium flame. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and roast for 1 min.
- Then add in the asafoetida and curry leaves and roast for a min.
- Add in the green chilli, ginger and garlic and cook till brown.
- Tip in the the onions and add a little salt. This ensures that all the onions get cooked uniformly and quickly.
- Once the onions are browned, add in the tomato and cook till oil separates from the tomato.
- Now add in the cooked moong dal and stir well. Add salt to taste and bring to the boil.
- You may have to add water to the dal – this is based on how you would like the consistency to be. Some like their dals thick while some like it slightly soupy.
- Take off the heat and garnish with the chopped coriander leaves, serve hot with rice or rotis.
P.S. If you have a pressure cooker, you may want to cook the moong dal in it. To ensure the dal is cooked, make sure you let atleast 3-4 whistles blow on the cooker.